We Help Protect
California's Employees

Are you eligible for leave for child bonding in California?

When you have a child in California, you may have certain protections available that allow you to take time off to bond with your infant without having to fear losing your job. The California Family Rights Act is one such protection. It allows you to take a certain amount of time off to connect with your new son or daughter provided your situation meets certain eligibility requirements.

Per the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing, you may be eligible to take time off for child bonding if your situation meets the criteria outlined below.

Who is eligible for child bonding

The rules about child bonding outlined by the CFRA apply to you if you work for an employer that maintains a staff of at least five people and worked at least 1,250 hours under that employer within the last year. Furthermore, you must have worked for your employer for at least one year, and you have to have a new child as a result of birth, adoption or foster placement.

How much time off you should expect

The CFRA allows you to take up to 12 weeks of leave within the first year following your child’s birth, adoption or foster arrangement. If you also take pregnancy disability leave, note that the leave allowed by the CFRA comes afterward. However, CRFA leave runs concurrently with any leave you take under the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993.

Should you decide to take the leave allowed by the CFRA, note that you do not have to take it all at once. You have the option of taking two shorter leave terms, if preferable.

  • Recent Posts

  • Archives

  • Categories

  • Rss Feed